Roads are always full of surprises especially whence you drive in a country having densely populated areas, it is always better to keep all safety measures in place instead of wasting time on heated arguments, last year I brought my favourite car KIA Seltos with each passing day I started feeling the need of having a good dash cam for my car which shall make it more secure and safe
let me update you all the points you must know and keep in mind while choosing right dash cam for your car
What is Car Dash cam?
A Dash cam is a video camera mounted on the dashboard or windscreen of a vehicle and used to continuously record the view of the road, traffic, etc., through the windscreen.
Benefits of Using a Dash Cam:
- Evidence: With a dash cam fitted on your car, you’ve got the evidence of any incident.
- Reduce Road Rage: Everybody’s in a hurry on the road, and road rage is a common sight in India. Road rage can turn ugly in no time. With a dash cam, you will have the video proof to confront or take action against the offender.
- Report Reckless/Rash Drivers: With a dashboard camera, you can note down the registration number of the vehicle, and if necessary, you can report the vehicle to the traffic police.
- Avoid Harassment from Police: It’s unusual to find an unruly cop, but you might have to face one who is looking to make some quick cash. Such cops will throw false allegations such as jumping the red light, not wearing a seatbelt, etc. But with a dash cam on board, you will have concrete proof and can confidently say that you have not made a mistake.
- Records Every Time you Drive: A dash cam starts recording as soon as you switch on the ignition of the car. So, you will have the recordings of every drive
- Capture Unforgettable Incidents: Indian roads are unpredictable. You never know what’s awaiting you around the corner. With a dashboard camera, you can capture incredible and unforgettable moments during your daily drives.
- Monitor Young Drivers: If you are worried about the driving style of your younger ones you can monitor the driving behaviour via dash cam.
How to Choose the Best Dash Cam?
- Loop Recording: One of the most important features of a dash cam is loop recording. When the storage space runs out, the dashboard camera starts loop recording, which deletes the older video files and replaces them with newly recorded files. This feature makes sure that every incident is recorded on your car’s dashboard camera.
- Video Resolution: One of the most important factors to be considered while buying a dash cam is the video resolution. The modern dashboard cameras can shoot in 4K resolution, but if you are not willing to spend a handsome amount on a dash cam, you should at least go for a dashboard camera which shoots in 1080p or full-HD resolution. The higher the resolution, the higher the quality of the video.
- Field Of View (FOV): Usually, the car dash cams come with a wide-angle lens which gives you a wide field of view. Always check the FOV of the lens before buying a dashboard camera. The wider the FOV, the better it is.
- Chipset: A dash cam can function smoothly only if it has a good chipset onboard. With an average chipset, the camera can lag at times, and there is a risk of the camera not recording during the crunch time.
- Storage: The video files captured by the dash cam are heavy and require a lot of storage space. So, buy a dashboard camera which accepts at least a 32 GB SD card. Nowadays, the dash cams even accept SD cards up to 64-128 GB.
- Connectivity: High-end dash cams come with Wi-Fi connectivity, which allows you to control the dashboard camera via your smartphone. You can also download video files directly to your smartphone. So, having the option of Wi-Fi connectivity can come in handy in tricky situations.
- GPS: High-end car dashboard cameras are equipped with an in-built GPS tracker, which can log the vehicle’s position and speed. The data are very useful when analysing the video footage of an accident. The camera can pinpoint the exact coordinates of the vehicle, and you can check the location via online map services such as Google Maps.
- Gyro Sensor: A G-sensor will enable the dash cam to save a recorded video and lock the camera if it senses an upfront collision or accident. The gyro sensor will also detect any movement while the vehicle is parked, and triggers the camera to start recording. This feature comes in handy in case of a hit and run incident or vandalism.
Best Budget dash cams having above features available in India:
- 70mai Smart Dash Cam Pro Plus A500
- 70mai Smart Dash Cam Pro
- DDPAI Mola N3 Car Dash Camera
- DDPAI Mini3 Car Dash Camera, 3K 1600p Resolution
Categories: Car News